Families and Private Life

Families & Private Life

We specialise in inbound UK immigration, representing private clients in respect of applications to enter or remain in the UK.

We will be able to assist in navigating these routes to a successful outcome.

Spouse, Civil Partner or Unmarried Partner

The overseas spouse, civil partner or unmarried partner of a British citizen or a person settled in the UK may be able to apply to remain with or join them in the UK. Both the applicant and partner must be aged 18 or over and the applicant must demonstrate a sufficient knowledge of English and satisfy minimum income requirements.

Successful applicants will receive leave for up to 2.5 years and may apply to extend their stay. If the extension application is successful, then another 2.5 years would be granted and providing applicants satisfy all of the requirements, they can apply for indefinite leave to remain after 5 years.

Migrants in this category may work and study in the UK.

The Immigration Rules are somewhat stringent with respect to who can join a family member in the UK. We have extensive experience in advising on such applications.  Please contact us for further details.


An overseas parent of a British child or a child settled in the UK may apply to join them in the UK. The child must be under 18 and the applicant must have sole or shared parental responsibility.

Migrants eligible to apply as partners must apply via that route rather than as parents.

Please contact us for more information.

Adult dependant relative

You must be outside the UK to apply and need long-term care from a parent, grandchild, brother, sister, son or daughter who is living permanently in the UK.

One of the following must also apply to the relative:

  • they are a British citizen
  • they have settled in the UK - for example, they have indefinite leave to remain, settled status or proof of permanent residence
  • they have refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK

Please contact us for more information.


An overseas child of a person settled in the UK may apply for immigration permission to stay with that parent.

Leave will be granted in line with the parent’s status and in most cases, financial requirements must be met.

Please contact us for more information.

Apply on the basis of your private life

You can only apply on the basis of your private life if you’re already living in the UK.

You must be able to prove that you’re:

  • under 18 and you’ve lived in the UK continuously for at least 7 years, and it would be unreasonable to expect you to leave the UK
  • between 18 and 24 and you’ve lived continuously in the UK for more than half of your life
  • 18 or over, have spent less than 20 years in the UK and would have very significant problems living in the country you’d have to go to - for example, you do not speak the language and could not learn it
  • 25 or over and you’ve been in the UK continuously for 20 years

Long residence in the UK

Once a migrant has lived in the UK continuously and lawfully for ten years, he/she may apply to settle in the UK on this basis.

Please contact us for more information.

About Us

Sushma Awtani

Sushma Awtani is a leading reputable specialist Divorce and UK Immigration and Nationality lawyer.

From multinational corporations to high net worth individuals, our professionals provide advice to international organisations, entrepreneurs, small to large sized businesses and private individuals.

Contact Details & Membership

We are a proud member of the following organisations

Resolution Member
ILPA member